The Benefits of Volunteering and How to Get Involved
Many of us have very busy lives, and it can be hard to find the time to volunteer in our community. However, volunteering can provide great benefits to you and your family, in addition to helping the community. Here are some of the benefits of volunteering:
- Volunteering connects you to others by giving you opportunities to make new friends, network with others, and improve your social skills.
- Volunteering as a family can help you set a positive example for you children and can be a great way to learn more about family resources in your community.
- Volunteering can provide you with many mental and physical health benefits such as increased confidence, and providing you with a sense of purpose. It can even help to prevent depression.
- Volunteering can help you learn new job skills and can give you valuable experience to add to your resume.
- Volunteering is fun and can help you explore your interests.
How to get involved:
From helping out at your local food pantry to volunteering as a committee member there are many ways to help out in Waushara County.
- The Waushara Prevention Council, Inc. is a non-profit coalition that promotes healthy choices for all generations. The council and its sub-committees meet regularly to work on helping the community with drug prevention, economic security, food security, and community resources. For more information or to learn how to get involved with the Waushara Prevention Council please visit wausharapreventioncouncil.org
- The Waushara County Department of Aging has many volunteer opportunities available such as volunteer drivers, caregiver class leaders, and chore services for older adults. Many of the programs and services the department offers are dependent on volunteers. If you are interested in volunteering with the Department of Aging you can contact them at (920)787-0403 for more information.
- You can also visit vww.volunteerwisconsin.org, or www.volunteermatch.org for more detailed listings of volunteer opportunities in our area.