Active Aging Committee
April 11, 2017
Mission: Encourages aging adults to continue active healthy lives.
Vision: Exploring unmet needs, services, and existing services, opportunities
Present: Deb, Amanda, Helen, Taylor, Pat, Tom
Start: 2:03 p.m.
Active Aging Articles
April- Master Gardeners (Deb)
May – Food Drive (Amanda)
June – Fishing (Tom)
Areas of Priorities for 2017
- Buddy Up and Read program. Sherry Kelly has interviewed Deb and Marisa Stepkke about the Buddy Up and Read program. The article will be going in the Senior Scene. Anyone who would like to participate it is best to wait until next year to start since there are only 3 visits left. Taylor is working with Kendra and A+ program. Hopefully next year we can get a schedule of different projects that we may be able to reach out to the senior population for help.
- Food Drive. The annual food drive will run from June 5 to June 30. We will need 10 boxes for meal sites, county courthouse, senior center and Core Quest Yoga. We will decide at next meeting who will do which pick up.
- Trails & Parks Assessment: Visits set for May and June.
- Healthy Aging Website. Amanda updated the committee on the progress on the website. Still looking for any exercise or physical activities in Pine Rivre, Hancock and Redgranite. Taylor is checking on the Strong ?? program in Hancock. Deb will check into the Zumba @ Redgranite and Mt. Morris. Discussion on for-profit verse only having non-profit on the website.
- Community Fair: Amanda brought an idea from Debbie Paavola that we have a scavenger hunt at the Community fair in where you receive a token for each booth visited and at the end of the day a name is drawn for the gift basket. Great idea to get people to visit the booths. Also the idea of giving numbers out for the flu shots instead of having people stand in line.
- Tai Chi: The next class is full.
- Update Active Aging brochure : Amanda will be taking pictures as we do park
assessments to be used in the brochure and website.
Next Meeting & Future Agenda Items: The next meeting is on May 31 @ 1:30 at Kusel Lake
Adjourn: 2:55 p.m.