Committee & Project Report
COMMITTEE: Backpack Nutrition Program DATE: 10.17.16
To improve nutrition and stamp out hunger one student at a time
1) Brief update of activities & goals
- The program will be offered in the Redgranite, Tri-County and Coloma Elementary Schools where Free/reduced lunch rates are 62%; 64% and 50%.
- Since the July meeting, funding has been received from ThedaCare Family of Foundations – Berlin ($6000); Wisconsin Tavern League Foundation ($375); St Marks & Sacred Heart Churches ($300); and Packer Backers ($390). A $5000 grant has been awarded, but not yet received from United Way.
- A grant application is pending with the Community Foundation of Central Wisconsin.
2) Outline group’s next steps
- On-going fund development: Funding requests should be sent to civic organizations as well as agricultural industries and businesses in the Central Sands area near Plainfield, Coloma and Hancock.
- Promotion of the annual Packer Backer campaign.
3) Needs of committee (members, funding, promotion, etc.)
- Sustainable funding sources
- Committee members from Coloma and Plainfield areas
4) Challenges & issues being experienced by the committee
5) Feedback from Full Membership:
- Names of potential committee members